Thursday, April 9, 2015

Three Self-improvement Goals

Ask a landscaper to name a tree they're trimming. What kind of tree is that? I don't know. Look at that plant, what is it called? I don't know.

That's a bad sign. I've got nothing against the landscaping profession, but I'm annoyed at the ignorant fools routinely employed at landscaping companies in this city. I don't get this war against the weeds. What is wrong with weeds? Apparently in Arizona, it's a fire hazard. Is it really? No alternatives to poison? No natural removal ideas? Funny not a single story on the local or national mainstream television news about Roundup causing cancer.

Before World War II, most of what we know of as weeds were known as wild edibles, medicinal plants, or wildflowers. Yeah, not saying all wild plants are desirable, but a perfect example of the manufactured disinformation campaign created by the pesticide companies is the war against dandelions.

What's wrong with dandelions? Somehow people have been convinced (brainwashed) that they are an ugly blight on the landscape that must be eradicated. But they actually have nutritional and medicinal value, and their also pretty, like baby sunflowers. I just don't get it. They see weeds, I see beautiful wildflowers. It's like the southern Arizona look is going more and more for that barren nuclear missile test site look. You know, where there's nothing but barren rocks and sand, no greenery, no color.

The pesticide companies spent a lot of money convincing people that weeds are the enemy, so as to sell their weed killer products, big money there, which has also been found to kill animals and people, some studies suggest that it causes cancer. Monsanto claims it doesn't, but I'm willing to bet big that something intended to kill, its sole purpose being death and destruction, probably does kill more than the weeds. The weed killers and pesticide companies share much in common with the military defense contractors. They make a living off of death and destruction, the end of war would put them out of business. I live in this military town, where the Air Force and the Raytheon missile makers are the life blood of the city. If war stopped, it would put a lot of people out of work. Trillions of dollars are at stake. It's not going to stop.

I've been under a great deal of stress. I think and feel too much. I'm also not inclined to servitude. Being a robot whore doesn't much appeal to me. So we won't talk about money or jobs, we'll talk about self-improvement. Some self-improvement goals I have for myself. 

My new goals for myself for 2015 are as follows:


1. Master pranayama.

Learn to breath, sitting still in meditation, in a way that relaxes me and improves my thinking.

2. Run.

I need to run. Sinus problems, being hungover, being too hot, whatever, has caused me to delay this goal for too long. This year I will run three miles. Not once. Not twice. But regularly.

3. Plant identification. I need to learn to identify every tree and plant and insect and animal of the Sonoran Desert by sight, knowing not only its name, but everything known about it. I've attempted this before, but I need to get back to it.

There's more, but we'll start with these three.

No comments: