Monday, November 30, 2015

Everything Has Its Price

Been doing a lot of extra mileage on my bicycle lately, getting more and more used to riding in heavy traffic, taking the lane, making left turns at six lane intersections, etc.

I was doing my regular run, and encountered an obstacle, the ATM machine I usually use was out of order, so had to figure out where the next closest ATM was that didn't have any fees associated with it. I vaguely knew where it was, the two crossroads, but wasn't exactly sure where it was. Couldn't find it, so being that rare breed of person who is under 40 but still doesn't have a smartphone, let alone a cellphone of any kind, was completely at the mercy of figuring it out myself, or relying on the kindness of strangers to help me out.

Why don't I have a cellphone? Well, I just don't like phones, and since I have access to a landline, don't really need a phone too much. Never talk on the phone, unless I absolutely have to, but I sense the times are changing, and may have to get one. Anyway, if I had a smartphone, I could have figured out where I needed to go, but instead, I pulled into a shopping center I'd never been to before, and took a chance, figuring I'd ask directions.

It was a Radio Shack. I thought they went out of business. Apparently not. They've been closing locations left and right, but apparently they can still afford six idle employees standing around doing nothing in an empty store with not a customer in sight. I asked directions, and got it. I felt weird, because usually you go into a store to buy something, or you at least are a regular there, have bought something before, and so you're not just someone expecting something for nothing.

Well, I got my something, but not sure it was for nothing, I expended quite a bit of calories, and experienced a huge amount of stress, not elaborated on in this post. Which brings me to my final point. The moral of this story is that there is no such thing as something for nothing. Everything has its price, even if it's not always measured in dollars and cents. Even when you think you're getting something for free, you're not. There's always an exchange of energy, a give and take.

Even if you're dirt poor, waiting in line at a soup kitchen for a free meal, you suffer the humiliation of being in such a situation, dependent on people who are not your friends, not your family, and who in reality may not even like you, and on top of that maybe you're waiting around for food that doesn't even taste good, that isn't your first choice, that you don't even like. Where basically you're in a situation where you are at the mercy of others, and you're not getting exactly what you want.

But as they say, beggars can't be choosers. If you beg, you take whatever you are given, and sometimes the free lunch is a rotten lunch. That's just the way it is. It's the law of give and take, you get what you give, and very often you get what you don't expect. Expect nothing, you never know what you may get. It could be good, it could be bad, but without expectations, not being overly excited or upset over any particular outcome, you roll with it, and for the most part everything will be alright.

No comments: