Monday, March 13, 2017

Getting Tough


So, as I mentioned in my previous post, I had a little bit of trouble with somebody messing with my bike, breaking off my bicycle computer when it was left outside at work, and since that incident I have been extremely worried that my bicycle would be stolen.

You see, I commute to work everyday, and the bicycle is left outside for hours, and realized that if I want to continue this setup I needed a better lock. I thought I had a good lock, and it's not a bad lock by any means, but I needed the best. So I went ahead and purchased the New York Fahgettaboudit mini U-lock by Kryptonite. It's the best U-lock they sell, and retails for over a hundred bucks.

I'm very happy with it. It gives me tremendous peace of mind. Even though at the same time I am dismayed that, yes, any lock can be defeated if a person has the right tools and enough time, but this one at least will protect against the most common methods, namely bolt cutters and leverage attacks, and so I feel much more comfortable than I did before.



I use the new lock for the rear wheel, Sheldon Brown style, which is you lock the U-lock to the rear wheel and object your locking it to, as opposed locking it to both the frame, the wheel, and the object, simply because it's not big enough for that, which is also one of its strong points. As long as it's positioned between the frame's rear triangle it is impossible to remove the rear wheel from the frame without destroying the wheel in the process.

For additional peace of mind I use a second U-lock, my old one, for the front wheel and frame, locking that too to a fixed object, as well as an additional cable lock for my rear rack.

I'm very happy with the setup. Hopefully, my bicycle will be safe for years to come, and won't encounter any more problems with anyone messing with my bike while I'm at work.

No comments: